Driving Abroad in a no-deal Europe

As every day brings new news about Brexit, is is important for commercial drivers to consider what will happen if there is a no-deal, and put in place contingencies to ensure they can continue to operate.

To prepare for deal and no deal scenarios, you need to:

  • register trailers for international commercial use weighing over 750kg
  • check if you need International Driving Permits and how many you may need
  • contact your vehicle insurance provider to get a motor insurance green card
  • display a GB sticker on your vehicle
  • register for Brexit updates

If you have a trailer, (commercial trailers over 750kg) you must register it to travel from the UK to the EU.  For more info, check out the GOV.UK site for trailer info

International Driving Permits

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March, you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in EU and the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).

You can get IDPs from the Post Office.

Read the International Driving Permit guidance for more information about whether you require a permit and which types of permit you need.

Motor insurance green cards
Green cards are an international certificate of motor insurance. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, commercial drivers may need a green card as proof of third party motor insurance cover.

You should contact your insurer for more information and to get a card.

Read more about vehicle insurance after Brexit

GB stickers
From 29 March, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, you may need to display a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a plate with a European flag and a GB label).

ECMT permits

Whilst the Government remains confident that hauliers won’t need ECMT permits to drive in the EU after Brexit, they are still progressing contingency plans to prepare for all scenarios.

As part of these contingency plans, they have secured more ECMT permits. 

Want to know more?
The UK Government's Brexit website has information and updates on everything you should do to prepare for Brexit.