All the paperwork you need for EU commercial travel

UK commercial drivers who operate in the EU will need new paperwork in addition to the documents they already carry if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Driver documents you’ll need include:

  • International Driving Permit(s)
  • a passport (with at least 6 months validity, excluding up to 9 months which may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date, and one blank page for stamping). Check your passport
  • an ECMT permit (for journeys through the EU to third countries, i.e Ukraine)
  • a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence
  • a tachograph driver card

Vehicle documents you’ll need include:

  • a motor insurance green card for the vehicle (and a separate one for a trailer in some EEA countries)
  • a GB Sticker
  • a vehicle log book
  • a trailer registration plate displayed and vehicle registered with DVLA

Act now and check our EU exit haulier guidance for the most up to date list of documents.

Trailer registration
You will also be required to register commercial trailers from 28 March to drive before they can travel to the EU.

This is a requirement from 28 March regardless of when, or how the UK leaves the EU.